This is the History
of
SPENGLER HALL STRASBURG VIRGINA

All information / research goes to the Shenandoah County VAGenWeb


The Anthony Spengler Home, also known as Spengler Hall or Matin Hill, Strasburg, Virginia





























Location: On the western edge of Strasburg, Virginia, on the west side of Route 11

Built: circa 1800

Owners:


At a Commissioner's sale, Isaac Hite, Jr., and others, conveyed to John Boyle, a lot of real estate in and near Strasburg, on the river and mountain ... the said two plantations, house, etc. Deed Book 1, page 273

24 Jul 1801: John Boyle conveyed to Anthony Spengler. Deed Book N, page 401

Inventory and appraisement of personal property and slaves of Anthony Spengler, deceased. Will Book T, pages 19, 40

Joseph H. Spengler sold to Samuel Kendrick, his interest in the lands of Catherine Spengler, being the same that was allotted to John Spengler in division of lands belonging to the estate of Anthony Spengler. (Catherine Spengler, late Catherine Kendrick, died September, 1834. Deed Book 2, page 349

Sarah M. Kendrick, administrator of the last will of Samuel Kendrick, deceased sold to Winchester and Strasburg Railroad Company the same property which was conveyed to Samuel Kendrick by Joseph H. Spengler. Caroline Kendrick, daughter of Samuel and Sarah Kendrick, married Captain C.M. Borum, and is the present owner of "Matin Hill", which she inherited from her father. Deed Book 10, page 131



Physical Description

This massive brick house has a splendid setting amid old trees and shrubbery, on an elevation facing eastward.

Beautiful boxwood of immense growth lead to the front portico with its huge columns, about three feet in diameter; these columns are made of brick covered with plaster. There are twelve fireplaces with beautiful mantels over each, and closets at the sides. mantels and cornices over the closets are reeded and fluted, also are decorated with motifs of various designs. One outstanding mantel has a sunburst and urns, and fluted pilasters. The kitchen mantel is about ten feet long over a large fireplace of such dimensions that an entire stack of cord wood could easily be used; there is ample room, also for cooking with the early American utensils then in use. Paneled door frames and wainscoting are used throughout the house. All hardware is hand-wrought from iron, by native craftsmen.

The Anthony Spengler Home, also known as Spengler Hall or Matin Hill, Strasburg, Virginia





























Historical Significance

Capt. Anthony Spengler, (1774-1834) who built this house early in 1800, was a brother of Col. Philip Spengler, born 1761. The latter came from York County, Pennsylvania, to Shenandoah County; was Lieutenant Colonel of the 6th Virginia Regiment, and representative of Shenandoah in the Virginia house of delegates, 1818-19.

A grandson of Anthony Spengler, Gen. Abram Spengler was born in Shenandoah County. He organized the Hardy Greys, C.S.A. at Moorefield, WV, and was their captain. He rose to be colonel in command of the Stonewall Brigade. It is said, a commission for him, as brigadier general, C.S.A., had been prepared, but in the confusion of the end of the war, was never received. He was a son of Christian Spengler, born 1799, of Shenandoah County, and Susan Hoffman Spengler. Christian S. Spengler was a son of Capt. Anthony Spengler of York County, PA, and Shenandoah County, VA, and Catherine Kendrick of Strasburg. (A descendant of Dr. David Jameson, commander of the 3rd battalion of York County, PA, militia in the American Revolution).

The old road, the forerunner of the Valley Pike, passed up the hill immediately in front of "Spengler Hall." The Dellingers, who suffered at the hands of the Indians in 1764, lived on a part of the Spengler plantation, not far from "Matin Hill". In the spring of 1862, "Spengler Hall" was the headquarters of Federal General Williams. In the summer of 1864, General Jubal A. Early, C.S.A., pitched his tent on the lawn, but did not occupy the house.

Several small brick buildings on the place are known as the slave quarters. An interesting incident in connection with the building of the house was that the expert carpenter in charge of the paneling and finishing of the interior of the house, who felt it his patriotic duty to enlist in the War of 1812, left some of the mantels unfinished, returning after the war to complete the job.

This home contains many interesting antiques, including a spinning wheel with inlaid date "1782" amid tulips and hearts. A tall writing chair with arm table attached is said to have belonged to Gen. Williams, but left there when he made a hasty retreat.

A rather unusual listing of person property and slaves appears in the inventory and appraisement found in Will Book T, pages 19, 10, in the County Court records, part of which are as follows:

Green Room: 1 Green high post bedstead (and entire contents of the room follows).

Yellow Room: 1 Sycamore high post bedstead, 1 sett plaid Jackonett bed valance and top, 4 Linsey quilts, etc., etc.

Red Room: 1 French post cherry bed and cherry furniture, 27 fine linen sheets, etc., 1 figured Jackonett bed valance, etc.

State Room: 1 walnut bedstead and furniture, etc.

Pearl Room: ..... etc.

Mahogany Room: ..... etc.

White Room: ..... etc.

Pink Room: ..... etc.

Spinning Room: (with all kinds of equipment)

Dining Room and Kitchen. Among many articles mentioned were pewter dishes, Queens ware, 2 fly bushes, etc.

Then followed the "Weave House, Carriage House, Spring House, Doctor Shop, Outside House, Front and Back cellar, Long Cellar, and all contents."



Owners of the Spengler House since 1937, have been Charles & Douglas Borum, George & Maria Hinkins and Dr. & Mrs. John F. Cadden. Mrs. Cadden (Gin) presently lives at Spengler Hall.

The Anthony Spengler Home, also known as Spengler Hall or Matin Hill, Strasburg, Virginia


Photos contributed by Jim Artz

Sign InView Entries